For my paycheck
Stuff that I teach/taught, NTU
- HW001 English Proficiency
- HW0102 Craft of Writing
- HW0103 Introduction to Critical Writing
- HW0201/HW0204 Research Writing in the Social Sciences
- HW0202 Research Writing in the Biological Sciences
- HW0203 Research Writing in the Physical & Mathematical Sciences
- HW0210/HW210 Technical Communication
- HW0228 Scientific Communication II
- HW102/HW102A The Art of Academic Writing
- HWG701 Graduate Communication
- HWG703 Graduate English
- SM2 Bridging Course -- Better Pronunciation
Centre for Continuing Education, NTU
- 27-28 Sep 2011 -- "A Guide to Good Pronunciation" (7 participants)
- 17-18 Mar 2011 -- "A Guide to Good Pronunciation" (14 participants)
- 7 Sep-26 Nov 2010 -- "Intensive English Course for Vietnamese Military Officers" (10 participants)
- 14-15 Jun 2010 -- "A Guide to Good Pronunciation" (18 participants)
- 3-4 Dec 2009 -- "A Guide to Good Pronunciation" (18 participants)
- 29 Jun-7 Aug 2009 -- "Intensive English Language Course for Senior Vietnamese Officials" (5 participants)
While at NIE (2001-2008)
- AAE101 Introduction to the Study of Language
- AAE202 Language Meaning & Use
- AAE331 Introduction to Systemic Functional Grammar
- AAE443 History of Modern Linguistics
- AGS201 Group Endeavours in Service Learning
- ALS101 Academic Discourse Skills
- BAE202 The Meanings of English
- BAE333 Phonetics & Phonology of English
- BAE444 History of Linguistics & Current Theories
- BAE534 Advanced Syntax
- CAE101 Introduction to the Study of Language
- CAE103 Description of Modern English
- CAE330 Approaches to Grammar
- CTE101 Introduction to the English Language
- DLK200 English for Academic & Professional Purposes
- DSE100 Grammar
- DSE101 Text Types
- DUE101 Introduction to the Study of Language
- EAE101 Introduction to the Study of Language
- EAE201 Description of Modern English
- MAE606 Language in Society & Cultures in Context
- MAE618 Research Methodology
- MAE629 Functional Grammar & Language Education
- MAE801 Discourse Analysis
- MAE820 Systemic Functional Linguistics
- NAE215 Phonetics & Phonology
- NAE216 Description of Modern English
- NAE533 Syntactic Models of Language
- PCE512 Introduction to the English Language
- QGS511 Group Endeavours in Service Learning
While at NUS (1997-2001)
- EL1101 Patterns in English
- EL2102 English Structure & Meaning
- EL3207 Literary Stylistics
- EL3208 Discourse Analysis
- EL3209 Hypertext Theory -- Writing in the Electronic Era
- 2007-2008: Goh Hock Huan. A study on linguistic and communicative competence in spoken Mandarin of Chinese preschoolers in Singapore: A corpus-based analysis. PhD thesis, Centre for Research in Pedagogy & Practice. (Change of supervisor in 2008)
- Internal examiner, NIE BA (Hons) academic exercise by Tang Kum Khuan, "Indications of audience-awareness in academic essay introductions: An exploratory comparison of expert writers and student writers" (67 pp.), 2004.
- External examiner, NUS MA (Applied Linguistics) dissertation by Ms Clara Chow Shook Fun, "An analysis of George Orwell's Animal Farm using a functional framework" (230 pp.), 2004.
- Internal examiner, NIE BA (Hons) academic exercise by Ms Ang Hui Hoon, "Time to get out of the bath Shirley: An ecological analysis of a contemporary picturebook", 2003.
Administration & service
- 2014 to date: Editorial board member, LCC Working Papers
- 2014 to date: Teaching mentor, LCC
- 2012 to 2014: Webmaster & member, LCC Communication Cube Publicity Sub-Committee
- 2011 to 2013: Webmaster & member, LCC Research Committee
- 2011 to 2013: Curriculum planner, discipline-specific writing programme for the College of Science and the College of Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences, NTU.
- 2010 to date: Coordinator, graduate English programme, including the English Proficiency Test.
In the foggy past ...
- 2011: Webmaster & member of organising committee, Language & Communication Centre Roundtable on Academic Writing, 1-2 December 2011, School of Humanities & Social Sciences, NTU, Singapore.
- 2006-2008: AG representative, NIE promotional activities.
- 2006-2008: ELL co-coordinator, BA(Ed), Academic Subjects.
- 2006-2008: Member, organising committee, English in Southeast Asia conference, Singapore, 2008.
- 2006: Assisted National Library Board to check the grammatical accuracy of
advertisements used in the "Speak Good English Movement" and to answer queries on the use of English.
- 2006: Webmaster, LangScape Conference, 27-28 April 2006, Regional Language Centre, Singapore.
- 2005-2008: Webmaster, ELL (NIE) website.
- 2005-2008: Member, ELL IT committee.
- 2005-2006: Member, executive committee, ELLTA(S).
- 2005: ELL coordinator, DipEd, Subject Knowledge.
- 2004-2010: Webmaster, SAAL.
- 2004-2005: ELL coordinator, DipEd, Academic Subjects.
- 2004-2006: Auditor, SAAL.
- 2003-2006: Webmaster, ELLTA(S).
- 2003-2004: Assistant Honorary Treasurer, SAAL.
- 2003-2005: Assistant Honorary Treasurer, ELLTA(S).
- 2001-2003: Honorary Treasurer, ELLTA(S).
- 2002: Co-Chair, Social & Logistics Sub-Committee, AILA2002, 16-21 December 2002, Suntec Singapore International Convention & Exhibition Centre.
- 2000: Treasurer, Language in the Mind? Conference, 4-6 September 2000, Fort Canning Lodge, Singapore.
- 2000: Coordinator, Language Research Students' Seminar Series, NUS.
- 2000: Webmaster, Language Research Students' Website (now defunct), NUS.
| Top |
© Leong Ping Alvin